Enhancement of Official Languages Program
Second-Language Learning component
The Second-Language Learning component of the Enhancement of Official Languages Program aims to improve programs and activities offered by the provinces and territories for the instruction of English and French as second official languages at all levels of learning, and to increase the production and dissemination of knowledge, innovative methods and tools to support second-language instruction.
The objectives of Second-Language Learning are:
- to assist provincial and territorial governments, directly or through the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC), in providing instruction in English and French as second official languages;
- to help increase the number of teachers of English and French as second official languages and to contribute to their professional development;
- to allow a greater number of Canadians at the post-secondary level to become full-time or part-time monitors of English or French as second official languages in the school system or at post-secondary institutions;
- to provide Canadians with the opportunity to use their knowledge of Canada's two official languages while working as much as possible in their field of study;
- to allow a greater number of Canadians to learn English or French as a second official language and to improve their language skills;
- to make learning English and French as second official languages a culturally and socially rewarding experience;
- to contribute to the research and dissemination of the knowledge, methods and tools pertaining to the teaching of English and French as second official languages.
II. Immediate outcomes
Activities that receive funding from the Department must contribute to achieving one or more of the objectives of the Second-Language Learning component of the Enhancement of Official Languages Program, as well as immediate outcomes targeted by this component.
The immediate outcomes targeted by the Second-Language Learning component are as follows:
- maintenance and improvement in the provision of provincial and territorial programs and activities related to learning English and French as second official languages;
- increase and dissemination of knowledge and improved access to innovative methods and tools for the teaching of English and French as second official languages; and
- greater proportion of Canadians who learn English or French as a second official language and become acquainted with the culture it conveys.
This component of the program enables the Government of Canada to support the delivery of programs or activities in the provinces and territories designed for the instruction of English and French as second official languages, to support second-language learning and skill development activities, and to fund projects aimed at producing and disseminating knowledge, methods and tools for the advancement of second-language instruction. Four sub-components are proposed to achieve this goal:
- Intergovernmental Cooperation
- Complementary Support for Language Learning
- Cooperation with the Non-Governmental Sector
- Young Canada Works
[ Back ]
- Date modified :